One sentence: A 12-hr driving day brought us through countless scrapes ending at an icy paradise.
– 9:15a. Started on the road towards the Iceberg Lagoon on the eastern coast of the island.
– We were amazed by the magical and distinct landscapes.
A stretch of waterfalls carving out the mountainside and houses sprinkled along their bases. Lush purple mountains layers over green moss over glaciers into the distance.
Icelandic horses grazed the vast fields of green pastor framed with tall narrow trees blocking the sharp winds. These horses are like no other we’ve seen with bushy manes and shorter legs.
Winding through a colorful mountainous landscape with high winds slightly swaying our car from side to side.
Drove through a foggy mist as we entered a lava rock scape that made us feel like we were on Mars. There was an odd arrangement of small lava rocks,”poop rocks.”
Choppy milky streams running through black lava rocks covered in cushioned moss.
Red-roofed houses nestled in the grassy & rocky mountains with sheep covered farmlands on one side and lava rock flat-land on the other.
The aery barren flat landscape of black lava sand painting either side of the road.
Layers of purple mountains covered in sweeping fields of Iceland’s lupine flower.
Glaciers blanketed in snow on one side and flowing green fields leading to the Atlantic on the other.
-12p. Gas & grocery stop at Hvoldvöllur. We picked out new and favorite flavors of Iceland’s incredible Skyr yogurts, local cheeses and an assortment of treats. And set back on the road.
– 2p. Picnic lunch with our cheese & crackers at Fjaðrárgljúfur. A memorable lunch we will not forget.
– 4p. Arrived at Jökulsárión glacier lagoon. The icebergs’ majestic presence in the clear blue water took my breath away. Each berg had a unique color pattern & shade of crystal blue.
– 5p. Made our way back to our hostel with a few stops at our favorite spot. Our favorite car game was “Read that sign!” This was our version of learning Icelandic.
– With 24 hours of sunlight, we had just enough time to take it all in!